Leica Experiences: Model Shoot – New York – Mark de Paola
Join renowned fashion photographer Mark de Paola and a working New York City model over coffee for a chat about working in the fashion and beauty industry before hitting the streets of SoHo to shoot candid fashion and portraiture imagery.
De Paola’s fashion imagery has been recognized for its’ looseness and organic feel having worked with some of the biggest fashion names in the industry like Gucci, Brioni, Donna Karan, Oscar de la Renta, and others. An honest and soulful connection with his subjects has been aided by his decades-long relationship with the Leica M camera and the 50mm Noctilux. During this experience, you’ll have the unique opportunity to learn first-hand how to gain in-depth experience with your tools to define your personal vision as an artist and photographer.
The digital age has brought on a big movement of heavy postproduction editing and retouching. De Paola’s fashion work (an industry defined by seeming perfection) is never edited as he believes in creating images that are finals straight off of the sensor. Take advantage of the opportunity to learn how to minimize your editing stresses, and maximize your time getting out there on the streets to create new work for your portfolio.
Why take this experience?
- Get one-on-one time and individual coaching on how to render a fashion/beauty story
- Take the opportunity to make images of a professional working model against some of the iconic NYC facades, to be a part of your portfolio forever
- This experience is designed to improve and refine your exposure to the fashion industry and enhance your portfolio.
- Learn about the day-to-day inner workings and perspectives of working in the fashion industry over coffee with two working professionals.
- Making the best use of available natural light for portraits
- How to “cover” a look when shooting portraiture and fashion work
- Learn how to build a narrative in an otherwise basic environment
- Applying a looseness and an urgency in your photographic storytelling
- Techniques for shooting wide open on Leica M glass
- Shooting for no postproduction editing
- Editing down a session of work to the strongest image in a short and concentrated period of time
Location: New York, NY
Participants: 1 person
Duration: approx. 3 hours, plus an emailed review of images
Inclusions: All instruction, location, production, and model fees.
Exclusions: Travel to and from NYC, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Equipment that is easily manageable on the busy streets of NYC. You will be walking for a few hours and will want a camera bag that is not inhibiting your ability to shoot and be on your feet.
Available Dates: February- April dates are now open. Email Akademie@Leicacamerausa.com for additional dates.
(Click the calendar below to the open dates.)
Mark de Paola is a director and photographer based in New York City and Los Angeles, best known for his wide-open shooting style. De Paola has had multiple covers for Vogue Spain and Mexico, as well as campaigns and commercials for Donna Karen, Gucci, Saint Laurent, Brioni, Neutrogena, La Perla, Sephora, and MAC Cosmetics to name a few.
Mark has directed nearly 700 television commercials in the fashion/beauty sector, including Anheuser-Busch (Superbowl), Sony, Kawasaki, Ford Motorsports, Ducati Motorcycles, Toyota, Giorgio RED Perfume (exhibited at MOMA, NY), and English Ideas Cosmetics amongst others. Mark’s fine art series “60 Seconds” (a series of nudes shot with handheld 60-second exposures) and “The Art of Backstage” (shot during NY Fashion Week) have been exhibited at the Leica Gallery LA, Boston, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Dali, China.