Leica Experiences: Milan Fashion Week – Mark de Paola
Join renowned photographer and director Mark de Paola backstage during Milan Fashion Week. Experience and document first-hand the excitement in watching future trend and style come to life!
Join Alessia Caliendo, art director, and stylist, as she interviews and covers the show in the organized chaos of the backstage environment. Document the transformation process of the models from street to runway with the most highly regarded makeup artists, stylists, and hairstylists in the world. See the unseen!
A day before Milan fashion week starts, the attendee will meet with Mark de Paola and the production team for an hour briefing at a local Milanese Cafe to discuss backstage etiquette, pacing, etc. Meeting information and show schedules will be emailed to each photographer one week prior to fashion week.
Call times for your assigned show will typically be three hours prior to show time, with the show lasting up to an hour.
Why take this experience?
- In real estate, they say location, location, location. Here we say access, access, access. This is an opportunity to see the very core of taste and style come to life.
- The exclusive opportunity to watch artists like de Paola and Caliendo work on set with clients.
- Come away with world-class fashion documentary portfolio images.
- Experience true collaboration between hair, makeup, model, production, designer, and styling teams.
- How to “be invisible” in a chaotic backstage environment
- Bending difficult backstage lighting situations in your favor
- Building energy and narrative from model prep to final looks
- Backstage etiquette in the fashion industry
- Photojournalistic approach to fashion
- Rendering skin for fashion/beauty work
CALL time – Models are prepped in hair and makeup
~ 1 hour prior to show – Models rehearse on the runway
~ 45 minutes prior to the show – Final touches on hair and makeup
~ 15 minutes prior to show – Models dress
~ 5 minutes prior to show – Models are given last looks in the final lineup with hair, makeup, and styling
What you can expect to photograph:
Models being prepped in hair and makeup – Model rehearsal from either backstage or the audience area prior to guest arrival – Portraits – – Final looks in the final lineup before the models walk the runway
What you should know:
- This workshop is for admission into the backstage environment only and does not include admission to the actual runway show.
- Tickets just to attend one of these shows (~25 minutes) start at $4000.00
- You may be assigned a “presentation” instead of a runway show. A presentation is an art directed and styled even where models are presented for a few hours in rotating positions in the new collection.
- Milan Fashion Week Backstage is a working environment with hundreds of fast-moving pieces. Please be aware of your surroundings and do not block team members from doing their work. Be as quiet and as invisible as possible.
- Do not talk to or make connections with the models, makeup artists, or hairstylists. This is not a time to make friends, but a time to deeply immerse oneself into a very rarified photographic experience.
- Please be aware that Mark de Paola and Alessia Caliendo are a part of the working team and during certain fast-moving beats throughout the show preparation, are not available to give immediate feedback.
- You will be required to wear a KN95 mask over your nose and mouth throughout the entirety of this experience.
- COVID-19 vaccination is required.
Location: Milan, Italy
Participants: 1 person
Duration: approx. 3 hours, plus an emailed review of images
Inclusions: All instruction, location, production, and model fees.
Exclusions: Travel to and from Italy, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Equipment that is easily manageable. Large pieces of equipment (i.e. strobes, reflectors, multiple large camera bodies or lenses, tripods, etc.) will not be allowed. Please consolidate to the minimal amount of equipment you love to do your best work
Available Dates: Feb 22nd-28th, 2022
Email Akademie@Leicacamerausa.com for additional dates.
A portfolio review is required BEFORE acceptance into this program. Interested photographers are asked to email a selection of images or link to a folder of images to Akademie@Leicacamerausa.com
Once approved, a link to complete your registration will be provided.
Mark de Paola is a director and photographer based in New York City and Los Angeles, best known for his wide-open shooting style. De Paola has had multiple covers for Vogue Spain and Mexico, as well as campaigns and commercials for Donna Karen, Gucci, Saint Laurent, Brioni, Neutrogena, La Perla, Sephora, and MAC Cosmetics to name a few.
Mark has directed nearly 700 television commercials in the fashion/beauty sector, including Anheuser-Busch (Superbowl), Sony, Kawasaki, Ford Motorsports, Ducati Motorcycles, Toyota, Giorgio RED Perfume (exhibited at MOMA, NY), and English Ideas Cosmetics amongst others. Mark’s fine art series “60 Seconds” (a series of nudes shot with handheld 60-second exposures) and “The Art of Backstage” (shot during NY Fashion Week) have been exhibited at the Leica Gallery LA, Boston, Tokyo, San Francisco, and Dali, China.
3 in stock