Leica Experiences: Lighting On Location with Joey Carman
From Malibu Creek to the L.A. Zoo, no matter the location… Learn to light your subjects better on-the-spot, on location using portable flash units. Packed with a single backpack, Joey will show how he mobilizes and adapts his gear whether it is a wedding, or a rock concert.
Joey’s photography, requires him to adapt to any situation to meet a client’s demands. Sometimes he literally has to make “something from nothing” and work on the locations which has to prepare to adapt. It could be anywhere from a client’s back yard, to a grand wedding backdrop tucked away in the Malibu Canyon.
Joey will be taking you on this experience with a professional model on location either along the coast of Malibu, The Malibu Canyon, or Los Angeles Zoo & Griffith Park. You will learn to light them using your portable flash units, and also the available modifiers you can use to achieve different looks and styles of lighting.
Joey will be leading this workshop with his Leica SL2-S, Q2 & his SF-60 & SF C1.
Why take this experience
- Many photographers only use available light to photograph. Joey will show you how to create it.
- Experience the outdoors of the Malibu Canyon or beaches, learn how to light under the sun, or at sunset.
- Learn Joey’s approach to photographing portraits on the spot, with either single, or multiple unit flashes without the need of a crew.
- During Lunch/Dinner, Joey will show his process of how he stitches his signature environmental stitched portrait shots in photoshop, and how to setup your camera to have the most seamless stitch possible.
- Flash Photography using the Leica SF-60 & SF-C1
- Basics of TTL & Manual flash exposure & Metering
- Learning to light off camera, wirelessly with single and multiple flash units.
- Environmental Portraiture & Lighting with flash units
- Available Light
- Communication & Working with a Model
- Creating a panoramic stitched environmental portrait
Location: Choices between Malibu Canyon, Westlake Village, Los Angeles Zoo
Participants: One Person – Session.
Duration: approx. 6 hours (depending on day of events)
Inclusions: Model Fees, Instruction, Leica loaner equitment
Exclusions: Travel to and from the learning location, accommodation, and local transportation
Gear Recommendation: Leica Q/Q-2, SL, SL2 & SL2-S, Leica SF-60 & CF-1 transmitter & flash units. A small selection of Leica cameras will be available for use.
Joey Carman‘s photographic career has crossed the United States from NYC to LA and beyond. Carman started his career in front of the lens as a model touring Europe. Moving around the globe and finally settling down in New York City. There, Joey began his photography career covering fashion from behind the lens, discovering that this is where his passion truly lies.
Joey resides in Los Angeles with his wife and his two children. He owns and operates Joey Carman Photography, Inc. & Design, in Los Angeles, a full-service studio that crosses many photographic genres including rock and roll, fashion, commercial, landscape, product, digital compositing, family and wedding photography.
He has a vast client list, photographing for companies including: ABC, Buena Vista Home Entertainment, Buena Vista Pictures, Coldwell Banker, Restoration Hardware, Rodeo Realty, Sony, The Walt Disney Company, Thrifty Hunter Magazine, US Weekly, W Magazine, Warner Brothers, Westlake Magazine, Wilhelmina, DOPE Magazine, Elite Models, Fairchild’s Publications, Ford Models, Gibson Guitars, Gold’s Gym, Hollywood Records, Lakeshore Entertainment, Martha Stewart Weddings, McDonald’s Corporation, Newsweek Magazine, and Paramount Pictures.