Leica Akademie USA and fine art photographer and director Mark de Paola present an exclusive eight-day workshop in Milan, Italy the week of September 25th – October 3rd, 2019.
This all-inclusive, carefully curated experience provides the perfect opportunity to discover Milan through photography in art, fashion, and culture. The historic city of Milan, will provide our backdrop for this real world, fashion assignment and cultural immersion with Mark de Paola.
Whether you are currently a working pro, a dedicated novice with an interest in creative fashion/ beauty portrait photography, or an avid traveler with wanderlust for complete cultural immersion, you will gain much from your time in Milan!
Designed for creative photographers and travelers interested in experiencing Milan through a personal and highly curated itinerary, this shooting intensive, trip will explore and attempt to answer the question, “What makes a great photograph?”
This week-long immersion will open your eyes and photographic perspective to the Italian world of fashion, portraiture, and design. Explore the history of Italian style and craftsmanship from the oldest paintings by the masters at the Brera museum, to intimate studio visits with couture houses, to your very own artistic journey with world class fashion teams.
More highlights from the trip will include a conversation over coffee at Leica Store Milano with Chief Photo Editor at Italian Vogue and one of the most preeminent photographic curators of our time, Alessia Glaviano, and a private guided tour from a true Milanese local through the lesser known stylish streets of Milan.
Learn about your own photographic style using Milano street style as an inspiration as you walk along the streets of Fretebenefrateli and Monte Napoleone and sit for a casual cappuco shooting and conversing with a working fashion model. Shoot in studio with a full fashion team and agency models in Zona Tortona, Milan. Evenings will be filled with group film screenings, portfolio review, and late-night soirees.
In addition to Mark’s vast and comprehensive experience with Leica cameras and optics, especially the 50mm Noctilux, Mark’s career delivering projects for clients ranging from Vogue covers to Gucci campaigns and fine art photographic exhibitions will provide the foundation for the class.
- Milan’s cultural and artistic history.
- The relationship between history, culture and trends.
- Creative conceptualization
- Collaboration process in the fashion industry.
- Working with natural light indoors and on-location.
- Technique’s for working at minimum focusing distance.
- Capturing motion in a still image.
Who should attend this program?
Attendees are expected to have an interest in shooting portraiture, fashion, or street style throughout this destination workshop.
A keen interest in learning from local industry professionals, documentary films, galleries and museum exhibitions to contribute to the daily shooting exercises and activities.
Laptops will be needed, to facilitate downloading and critiques throughout the week.
You are not required to own a Leica camera to attend this event. A full selection of the latest Leica M Rangefinders, M lenses, and the SL-system will be available for your use. Attendance is limited to 12 students.
What is included?
- Opening and closing reception.
- Two meals a day at local restaurants, cafes and markets.
- Private room hotel accommodations, Single Occupancy (7 nights in Milan)
- An exclusive talk and conversation with head photo editor at Vogue Italia, Alessia Glaviano at the Leica Gallery Milan.
- All materials, model fee, personalized instruction, and lectures
- Group and private portfolio reviews with Mark de Paola.
- Museum/gallery admission fees
- Evening entertainment (film screenings, performances, etc)
- Opportunity to create fresh images for your portfolio with professional models both in studio and on location in Milan.
- Access to a complete line up of the latest Leica Products.
- Feedback and discussion of what it takes to stand out as a photographer, today.
Mark de Paola has had multiple covers for the likes of Vogue Spain and Vogue Mexico as well as campaigns and commercials for Donna Karan, Laura Biagiotti, Neutrogena, Gucci, Brioni, Sephora, Sony, Leica Camera, Giorgio RED perfume worldwide launch (Bergdorf windows), and MAC Cosmetics to name a few. He has directed nearly 700 television commercials in the fashion/beauty sector (Anheuser Busch on Superbowl, Smart Car, Neutrogena, and many others) as well as extensive campaign and retail experience.
Fine art exhibitions have included his series 60 Seconds, a series of nudes shot with handheld 60 second exposures, exhibited at Leica Gallery Los Angeles, Boston, Tokyo, and San Francisco, as well as “Art of Backstage” exhibited in China, Leica Gallery Ginza Six in Tokyo, and New York City.
Mark is also a frequent lecturer at many educational institutions and venues including a recent talk with Alessia Glaviano, Senior Photo Editor at Vogue Italia, and masterclasses with the New York Film Akademie and the Leica Akademie worldwide.
Fees: The total cost of the trip is $6,500.00.
A $200 nonrefundable deposit will secure your place on the trip. The remaining balance is by July 1st 2019.
REGISTRATION BUTTON AT THE TOP OF THE PAGE