Leica Bespoke: with David Butow
Create your personalized Akademie session
Leica Akademie USA and David Butow are now offering one on one, bespoke Zoom sessions for 2 hours based on your individual needs and interests. Sessions are available to be scheduled as 2-hour intensives.
“Photography has been my profession since I was a teenager in the 1980’s. By periodically re-evaluating my process and output, I keep challenging myself, and photography stays exciting, fresh and productive. These sessions are designed to do the same for participants of any skill level.” –David Butow
The session will be tailored to your goals and interests. David will review your general portfolio and/or a specific series and discuss ways to shape your vision, perhaps complete a project and give your work greater exposure. You might also want to tap into his long experience using Leica M cameras, and experiences he’s developed working on assignments from the carpeted Oval Office to the sandy hills of Afghanistan.
Some suggested topics are listed below, but feel free to bring up any line of inquiry and discussion.
- Simplifying your gear, including lens choices and super-compact lighting setups
- Photographing people with respect and minimal intrusion
- Tips for getting special access to activities in your hometown, or abroad
- Using empathetic observation to anticipate compelling moments
- Photographing in different lighting conditions
- Feeling relaxed and creative in unfamiliar or challenging circumstances
- Post-processing workflow
What might be accomplished during my 2 hour bespoke session?
Example 1 – Your Style
- Refining your style in single pictures or a series
- Developing your photographic ‘voice.’ What do you want to say, and how?
- Approaching your photography with intention, whether it’s pre-visualizing or openness to spontaneity
Example 2 – Your Project
- Laying the groundwork for photographic access and opportunities
- Developing a cohesive body of work
- Considerations for prints and gallery shows
- Self-publishing a photographic book
- Engaging with media publications, nonprofits and other venues for your work
The above topics are given as broad jumping off points are by no means a dictate. David is interested in hearing about your personal interests and looks forward to putting together a tailored program with you.
What happens after I register?
1. Schedule your bespoke session today with your requested date and time.
2. David will send you a follow up email to confirm your session and assess your goals, and topics of interest.
4. A proposal for your session details, topics to be covered will be emailed to you with your Zoom invite.
5. Your bespoke session will take place.
6. You will receive a follow up email from the session with any links or notes that may have come up during the session.
David Butow has been a professional photojournalist for three decades and assignments have taken him to dozens of countries including Afghanistan, China, Iraq, Peru and Yemen. His pictures have been published in many books and magazines including National Geographic, TIME, Paris Match, Vanity Fair and The New Yorker. David’s work has been exhibited at various venues including the UN Headquarters in New York and Visa Pour L’image in France. His coverage of such events as the U.S. invasion of Iraq, the Asian tsunami of 2004, and the Hong Kong protests in 2019 have won awards from World Press Photo, Pictures of the Year International, Photo District News and other contests. He is the founder of the Zen Photography Workshop and is a member of the ReduxPictures photo agency.