Join New York City-based fine art and fashion photographer Mark de Paola and the Leica Akademie USA in New York City for our newest Masterclass, “On Location: Into The Night,” from September 11-13, 2020, photographing portraits in transitional light from day into night.
This two and a half-day shooting intensive workshop will take place on the streets of New York City around the most iconic facades of Washington Square Park, the streets of Soho, waterfronts, the cobblestone streets in Chelsea, the famous fountain at Lincoln Center, and more. Limited to ten participants, students will have the unique opportunity to work with Mark in creating two unique portrait stories and look at light beyond what the eye may see. As the city transitions into night, Mark will address shooting techniques for fashion and portraiture utilizing wide open apertures and high ISO settings within the limitations of the camera.
Our hours will run through the transition from day to night into the late evening and give attendees the opportunity to learn how to push sensors and optics beyond threshold vision. Utilizing only natural light during the day as well as storefront lights, street lamps, and lit billboards into the evening, attendees will learn about portraiture and how to position a model with long exposures and soft focusing techniques.
In addition, de Paola will help instruct students through the variety of daylight environments utilizing hard light, soft light, and shadow in learning how to bend and place the light onto a subject for portraiture.
On the third day, students will have individually scheduled review time with Mark before the final shooting sessions.
Topics covered include:
- How to conceptualize and execute a portrait shoot
- How to utilize and best control natural daylight for fashion/portraiture in a high-pressure situation
- How to “cover” a look in seven minutes or less
- Low light shooting techniques (ISO, wide open, color temperature, etc)
- Seeing beyond what the capabilities of the eye sees
- Capturing a final image in camera
- Directing a model in a busy exterior environment
- How to utilize low light sources (shop windows, advertisements, street lamps) as flattering sources of light when there is no longer sunlight/natural light
What is included?
- All materials, model fee, personalized instruction, and lectures
- Group and private portfolio reviews with Mark de Paola
- Opportunity to create fresh images for your portfolio with professional models
- Access to a complete line up of the latest Leica Products
- Honest feedback and frank discussion of what it takes to stand out as a photographer
- Opening reception and catered group lunch on Sunday
What do I need to know before taking this class?
Students are expected to have a basic understanding of photography terminology, focusing and exposure techniques. Laptops are encouraged, but not required to help facilitate downloading and critiques on the final day of the workshop. You are not required to own a Leica camera to attend this event. A full selection of the latest Leica M Rangefinders, M lenses, and the S-system will be available for your use.
Friday, September 11th
5:00PM-8:00PM (Online Group Lecture)
Saturday, September 12th
Sunday, September 13th
12:00PM-3:00PM (Individual Student Review Times)
3:00PM-11:00PM (Individual Shooting Sessions)
INSTRUCTOR – Learn more about Mark de Paola